Cloud computing has gained immense popularity in the world of technology for a number of reasons. It not only allows data storage and management in the cloud but also makes it possible to access the data at any time or place from over the Internet. Cloud data backup offers plenty of advantages but when the question of cloud data safety arises we cannot be certain about how secure the data is especially data which has been stored on public cloud platforms.
The security issues faced by companies can be broadly categorized as concerns which should be addressed by the cloud provider in particular with the concerns of the customer. It is essential for cloud service providers to ensure their infrastructure is secure to protect the data of their customers. However, customers also need to ensure they have strong password-protected data and apps with two-factor authentication in order to make it safer for themselves to add an extra layer of protection.
Organizations looking forward to securing their data on the cloud can ensure their cloud data safety is secure by using certain defensive measures which are practical for their organization. They can consider the following tips which we feel are effective.
1) Cloud Data Backup – an important thing to consider when managing data is to ensure you have backups of the data. Having electronic copies of your data is advised to make sure you can continue accessing the same even if the original is lost or corrupted. You can make a choice of backing up the data to another cloud storage platform or even an external hard disk. If you want to be safer we suggest you consider both options at the same time.
2) Cloud Services Offering Data Encryption Must Be Chosen — the cloud services chosen for your company must offer local encryption for your data because it can provide double security as access to the files will only be possible after they have been decrypted. This method offers you the protection of your data even from service providers as well as administrators. You can make the most of your sensitive information by taking a few preventive measures around the data encryption services offered by your chosen provider.
3) Antivirus Software Is A Necessity — you may take as many security measures as needed but you may still face a problem from the computer you are logging in to the cloud platform. Hackers can find ways to access your account if you do not have proper protection in place for your system. In such cases, you are exposing yourself to viruses which can provide penetration points to the hackers.
4) Strong Passwords Can Help — you may have heard about how strong passwords are always beneficial but if you want to prevent your files from being hacked it would be your responsibility to provide even stronger passwords and making sure they cannot be compromised by hackers. You can find information about how you can create stronger passwords from a number of websites which will prove helpful for your needs.
5) Verify The Security Measures You Have in Place — do not assume your files are secure on the cloud because instances of organizations hiring ethical hackers who are certified to access sensitive data have been observed. These assessments are just as important for your data on the cloud or in any platform you have chosen to back up. If it is possible for you to gain access to your own data without authorization the chances are bright that someone else can also accomplish the same objective.
Cloud data backup brings along a set of advantages which are beneficial. However, it is essential for you to remember you cannot compromise on the security measures you need to implement. Adopting the kind of measures suggested can help you to maintain your files securely on the cloud or of it.